I really had no idea that you spelled “smorgasbord” that way. I thought for sure it was “smorgesboard.” Doesn’t that look more legit to you??
Today’s letter will be about a random assortment of things, because it’s the Sunday after Thanksgiving, I’ve not meditated in about 5 days due to busyness/guests, I’ve eaten a lot of sugar, and my routine is all shot to hell. So my mind is a bit on the bouncy side. But I want to share a few things before I forget.
Topic 1: Turkey!
I hosted Thanksgiving at my house this year for the first time. We had 8 peeps here, several of whom are most excellent cooks, and one of whom (Myla) who produced an entire amazing Thanksgiving meal singlehandedly in an unfamiliar kitchen in a rented condo when we lived down in Florida. So I put a lot of pressure on myself to NOT FAIL with the turkey.
I took the turkey out of the freezer a day late, which meant I couldn’t put the salt rub on until a day late, and I couldn’t get any salt INSIDE the bird because all its holes were frozen shut. But all that self-induced pressure and worrying paid off. 😛 The turkey turned out quite tasty! I did a dry-brine, and my 18-lb bird was tender and juicy. Here’s the recipe in case you’ve developed an addiction to turkey and want to make another bird.
Topic 2: Shopping
If you haven’t blown your wad on all the Black Friday deals already, here are a few items that I love that help me stay healthy and happy.
- Lems Boulder Boot: I LOVE these. Why do I love them? Let me count the ways:
- They are zero-drop, so they don’t funk-up my posture. If you want to know more about the effects of heeled shoes, check out Born to Run.
- They are waterproof, so they keep my feet nice and dry. I also bought them 1 size larger than I need, so I can fit very cozy, thick socks in them.
- They have a wide toe-box, so my digits can spread out and respond to the surface on which I am walking. Your feet provide a TON of input into your brain, but they can’t do that when they are in super-cushioned, super-thick soles. Feet gotta feet.
- The Women Who Run with the Wolves: Myths, legends, and stories that re-introduce us to our wild nature. Let’s sell all our junk, move out to the woods, and dance in the moonlight. Who’s with me??
- LMNT: Electrolytes with none of that bad stuff and all of the good stuff, from my couple-crush, Robb and Nikki Wolf.
- Millennium Falcon Microfighter: Best, funnest $10 you will ever spend. Go purchase it post haste. We all need to play more, and you can SHOOT LEGOS FROM THE CANNONS on this thing. It legit works. Amazing. Han Solo is a *little* out of scale, but he has to be so you can appreciate his luscious head of hair.
Topic 3: Slowing Down
As I mentioned, I’ve been neglecting my meditation. Any my journaling. And my breath-practices. I have this story in my head that I have to do things in a certain way, at a certain time, in certain circumstances or I better just not do them at all. None of that is true, but I let myself believe these thought errors, and as a result I am now all wound up, moving fast, feeling anxious. And I bet I’m not the only one feeling that way today!
If you are all torqued and tight and speedy today, here is a short half-hour yoga class from yours truly that might float your boat. Body scans/yoga nidras are one of my favorite ways to decelerate.
On that note, I best take my own advice and reconnect with my Self on this sunny Sunday (told ya I love alliteration)!
As always, if anything I wrote piques your interest, and you want to know more, holler at me. I want to know what YOU want to know! And if you need some help with reducing pain, improving your performance, or with feeling more at home in your body, you can book with me here. I also offer gift certificates (click on the View Products/Packages at the top of my booking link) if you have a friend or loved one who could use my help.